My Girl

August 25, 2009

I was asked to write about my pregnancy with my daughter, Greyley…you’ve already heard about my pregnancy with Indigo…so here you go…

It was around Christmas of 1997 that I got pregnant. I knew right away. I’ve always known right away when I get pregnant…not really sure why, exactly. I’ve been right all 5 times. But this being my first pregnancy, I sort of second-guessed myself.

I did a pregnancy test, though, and sure enough, it was positive right away. I wrapped the test up in a pretty package~ gross, I know~ and gave it to Nate at dinner that night. He was shocked and so happy.

I had the usual nausea and discomfort in the first few months, but around my fourth month, I began to feel better. I loved my belly, loved eating whatever I wanted, loved feeling the baby kick. I wrote in a journal every day, detailing my pregnancy and things I wanted to tell my baby.

We KNEW we were having a girl, so there was no surprise when the ultrasound showed that to be the case. I could not wait to have a little girl…just could NOT settle on a name.

Around my seventh month, we took the youth choir on a tour to St. Louis…in July, of all months…and that is when things got a little scary.

It was a LONG bus ride. I’m a pretty chipper person and was fine and jolly on the way there. The kids teased me every time I had to make a trek to the back of the bus to go to the bathroom. However, the heat when we got to St. Louis took my breath away. In order to do the concerts at night, I had to avoid the fun activities during the day. All in all, though, I did fine. I was a pretty happy pregnant person.

The night before we were supposed to go home, our close friends, Stuart and Teresa were hanging out in our room. Stuart is a hysterical person. He can make me laugh until I cry…and that’s just what I did that night. Truly…I laughed so hard that I felt something happen in my stomach and I actually said, “Uh-oh, something just happened.”

When I got up to tell them good-night as they left, I couldn’t stand up straight. She had dropped. Nate had to help me get to the bathroom all night and help me onto the bus the next morning. I was walking better by the next day, but she was so low. I had to go the bathroom the entire day…every half hour or so…on a smelly bus.

The ride seemed to take forever, of course…and my humor wasn’t quite as handy as usual…it seemed to have left itself in St. Louie.

I went to bed when we got home and stayed there for a few days. I believe we came home on a Monday night and on Thursday, I went into pre-term labor. I went into the emergency room and they gave me shots of terbutaline to try to stop things from progressing. That slowed things down, but I had to go back a few more times for those shots, because it would just start back up. So they sent me home with pills of terbutaline and visceril…one would make me hyper and jumpy; the other made me want to sleep all the time.

For the next 6 or 7 weeks, I was on bed rest, taking that medication like clockwork. This is when I came up with Greyley’s name…so it was a good, productive time. 🙂

Alex adored me being on bed rest. I had to lie down on my left side all the time and he would get all situated on my right hip, head hanging onto my massive stomach. It was the best time of his life.

My friends and sweet people from the church brought meals over. Also, during this time, we moved. Yes, we moved when I was 8 months pregnant. And I couldn’t pack hardly anything. This is when you are so very thankful for a caring church body…they got me through it. I had to swallow some pride and let them go through my things, but at that point, I didn’t really care…

I made it to 37 weeks and was able to get off the medication. After all the scares, I thought I’d be in the hospital that night, having my baby. I wanted that to happen. I was tired of my bed and ready to see this baby who was so anxious to get out.

My first day off of medication, I went to the State Fair and sang BGVs with Sara Groves. And walked and walked…I seriously wanted to HAVE that baby.

But she hung in there a few more days…I was constantly contracting, for days on end, 3 minutes apart…for what felt like an eternity. At exactly 38 weeks, after feeling miserable all day…around 11 PM on a Friday night, I knew it was time to go in.

My mom was in town, so she and Nate took me to the hospital and they admitted me. United Hospital in downtown St. Paul…it’s connected to Children’s Hospital, so it’s a great place to be.

It took a while. I was dilated to 7, the following day, when I made the delirious decision to have an epidural. Oh, thank the sweet Lord that I did.

My doctor didn’t show up. A strange doctor showed up at the very last second to give me an episiotomy…ouch, I don’t recommend those…and then out my sweet baby girl came!

We all bawled and Greyley scowled and cried like she was furious with us for messing with her.

Greyley Kate, 5 lbs. 13 oz. born at 7:21 PM on Saturday…

With her Honey (My Mama)

Those first 3 months were really hard. We had a huge adjustment learning how to breastfeed…she didn’t want to and I did. Sleep was also a hot commodity…she didn’t want to and I did.

But oh, what a sweetheart.

I just held her and looked at her and sang to her and kissed her face off and loved her. Still do and then some.

She charmed everyone from day one.

My, how it flies.

Love you, my sweet Girly Girl.

Be Sociable, Share!

9 Responses to “My Girl”

  1. Jilliebeanie says:

    Oh man…looking at those toddler pictures…got a lump in my throat.

    She is one special little lady.

  2. Anonymous says:

    What a sweet young lady! You have done an incredible job with both of your kids!!


  3. savita says:

    What a sweetheart! And I loved your story. She is one beautiful girl…..just like her mama! You have a beautiful family.

  4. Wow, what a tiny peanut!

    She is so cute (then and now). There is something so amazing about having a daughter.

    Thanks for sharing. It made me all sniffly. It's hard for me to read baby stories right now, while dealing with kindergarten.

    I'm so glad you're back blogging.

  5. Bree says:

    First of all, YEA! You're back! Secondly, I love this story. I love how you just knew she was your Girly. I'm so glad you share your stories.

  6. Heart2Heart says:

    What a beautiful tribute story to your amazing daughter.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

  7. Girly Muse says:

    Heather Anderson

    awwww i love the pics she was sooooo little i remember when i first met you guys she was only like a week or so old wow

  8. BrenMc says:

    What a beautiful love story…and that is what our children are…they write the pages of our lives, for they are enter-twined with our spirit. Once you have children, your purpose and directions are governed more by their needs than your own. What a love sacrifice! 🙂

  9. […] already know she’s had her share of miracles too. Just her being born is a big one. There was THIS day. There’s been years of THIS and that’s been so much better than it used to be, […]

Leave a Reply